Still from “Manto” (dir. Nadita Das, 2017). Faculty expert, Aamir Mufti.
Current job opportunities for Comparative Literature and related fields are, unavoidably, found across a number of platforms. Some of the more relevant for 2021-2022 include:
- African & African American Studies
- Applied Linguistics/TESOL
- Art History
- Asian American Studies: see Ethnic Studies
- Biological Anthropology
- Chicanx & Latinx Studies
- Communication and Media Studies
- Comparative Literature
- Creative Writing
- Critical Theory
- Cultural Anthropology
- English Literature
- Ethnic Studies
- Film Studies
- French & Francophone Studies
- German Studies
- Humanities & Social Sciences Postdocs
- Italian Studies
- Musicology & Ethnomusicology
- New Media & Digital Humanities
- Political Science
- Queer/Women’s/Gender Studies
- Religious Studies & Theology
- Rhetoric & Composition
- Spanish & Portuguese Studies
- Theater & Drama
2. MODERN LANGUAGE ASSOCIATION (Job Information List)
Lists of superior Twitter feeds, dedicated to Higher Education, from:
For digital positions:
HASTAC (Humanities, Arts, Science, and Technology Alliance and Collaboratory) was co-founded in 2002 by Cathy N. Davidson, then Vice Provost for Interdisciplinary Studies at Duke University and David Theo Goldberg, Director of the University of California Humanities Research Institute (UCHRI). After a meeting where numerous educators were expressing anxiety about the diminished role of humanistic learning in the Information Age, Davidson and Goldberg wrote an influential essay, “A Manifesto for the Humanities in a Technological Age,” that argued that today’s new, global forms of communication and online learning are so complex and potentially so revolutionary that they demand a new alliance of humanists, artists, social scientists, natural scientists, and engineers, working collaboratively. The changes in our Information Age require us to think and act collectively to envision new ways of learning that can serve the goals of a global society.
HUMANISTS @ WORK (HumWork) is the graduate career initiative for the University of California. HumWork is organized by the University of California Humanities Research Institute and funded by the Modern Language Association’s Mellon-funded Connected Academics grant. Our mission is to facilitate graduate student-led initiatives and programs that build the structures and communities necessary to allow PhD students in the humanities and humanistic social sciences to feel valued as professionals with diverse career opportunities.
PROGRAMS AND ACTIVITIES
- Biannual Workshops. Twice-yearly graduate career workshops, hosted in partnership with UC campuses, are free to attend. Travel grants are available to UC humanities graduate students.
- Web Resources. A robust website includes upcoming event information, resources from past workshops, and content that represents multiple stakeholders and viewpoints. A LinkedIn group, PhDs in the Humanities, facilitates national conversation about relevant topics.
- Graduate Advisory Committee. Reflecting HumWork’s conviction that graduate student leadership is critical to the initiative, a Graduate Advisory Committee offers substantive feedback on all activities, plans and leads workshops, and contributes to the HumWork website.
- Humanities Internship. A paid, eight-week internship demonstrates investment in year-round labor for humanities graduate students and the value these scholars bring to diverse settings.
- Tracking Initiative. Tracking PhD graduates in partnership with humanities departments on UC campuses enables the opportunity to spotlight the manner in which careers evolve and celebrate the PhDs who pursue diverse paths.
IMAGINE PHD: a career exploration and planning tool for the humanities and social sciences.
GENERAL HUMANITIES JOB SITES
www.museumjobs.com – Worldwide links to various museum positions
www.artlinks-staffing.com – Bay Area, graphic arts jobs
www.icreatives.com – Temporary and permanent staffing for creative work
jobs.awn.com/home/index.cfm?site_id=500 – Careers in animation – worldwidear
www.aiga.org – American Institute of Graphic Arts
www.theartcareerproject.com – how to educate yourself in preparation for a career in the arts
www.actorsequity.org – Represents actors and Stage managers in theatre
www.aam-us.org – Information about museums and job listings
www.creativehotlist.com – Creative professionals can showcase resumes and portfolios
www.dance.net – Find jobs in dance, and film TV
www.danceusa.org – Jobs, auditions, & internships in arts and dance
artstaffing.com – Employment opportunities in museums, art businesses, and nonprofit organizations
www.journalismjobs.com – Job listings in journalism
www.bookjobs.com – Job and internship listings, publishing programs and organizations
www.mediabistro.com – Jobs, classes, community and news for media
www.wm.edu – List of companies hiring linguistics
EDUCATION (all levels)
www.teachcalifornia.org – Everything you need to know to become a teacher in California
www.achievementfirst.org/careers – Listing for positions in K-12, coaching, public, and private schools
www.educationamerica.net – Search for administrative and teaching positions in the U.S.
www.k12jobs.com – Job listings and career fair information for positions in K-12 teaching
www.academic360.com – Search for positions in higher education
www.higheredjobs.com – Search part time and full time jobs in higher education
www.edjoin.org – A great resource for K-12 jobs
www.teaching-certification.com – Requirements for each state on teaching certifications
www.cccregistry.org – Faculty and administrative positions in California Colleges
jobs.universityofcalifornia.edu – UC job listings and UC path center
www.entertainmentcareers.net – Includes internships, jobs, and studio job hotlines
www.showbizjobs.com/jobseeker – Nationwide search for jobs
www.moviebytes.com/directory.cfm – Listings for screenwriting contests
www.viacomcareers.com/ – Jobs at MTV, Comedy Central, and more
http://www.sonypicturesjobs.com/ – Sony pictures job listings
www.mandy.com – Database of television, film producers, technicians, and jobs
www.guidestar.org – Includes searchable database of all non-profit organizations
www.idealist.org – Thousands of job listings in non-profits, links to non-profit career fairs
www.opportunityknocks.org – Job listings, advice on nonprofit organizations
www.canonprofits.org – Guide to California Non-profits
www.philanthropynewsdigest.org – News, jobs, and rfp service, philanthropy related articles
Built in Los Angeles – Find jobs and internships at startups in the L.A. area (tech and beyond)
Venture Loop – Narrow your search to companies with venture backing
Underdog.io – Curated “talent marketplace,” which claims to match candidates with their ideal startup opportunities